US Bars Iranians From Entering US on Trade and Investment Visas

Iranian nationals who wish to trade and invest in the US are no longer eligible to apply for E-1 treaty trader and E-2 treaty investor visas or extension of status based on the treaty, due to the termination of the 1995 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations and Consular Rights with Iran.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the move through a document published in the US Federal Register on January 23rd.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is announcing that nationals of Iran and their dependents are no longer eligible to change to or extend their stay in E-1 or E-2 nonimmigrant status on the basis of the 1955 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights between the United States and Iran (the Treaty of Amity) due to the treaty’s termination,” the document reads.

It further explains that after the termination of the Treaty Amity, there are no other qualifying treaties with Iran currently in force or other Iran-specific bases for granting or extending E-1 or E-2 status to Iranian passport holders.

According to USCIS, the changes permit Iranians currently holding and properly maintaining E-1 or E-2 status to remain in the US as long as these visas are valid.

It also points out that these changes do not prohibit Iranian nationals and their dependents from applying for other nonimmigrant visas for which they believe they are eligible for.

Due to the termination of the treaty, USCIS will send Notices of Intent to Deny to affected applicants who filed applications after the Department of State’s Oct. 3, 2018, announcement,” USCIS explains.

The US E-1 visa, also called the Treaty Trader Visa is a US non-immigrant visa for nationals of countries that have a trade an investment treaty with the US. It allows sole traders and representative traders of companies to go to the US and continue the trading operations.

Whereas the E2 visa is a Treaty Trader and Investor Visa for the US, a non-immigrant visa category as well. It is issued to individual investors or investing companies from countries that also have a treaty with the US.


Share this article

Last Updated on

You may also like...